For a better experience please change your browser to CHROME, FIREFOX, OPERA or Internet Explorer.
Taxing a vehicle

Taxing a vehicle

Taxing a vehicle

Taxing a vehicle: So you’ve just bought a new van and now your going to need to make sure it’s been taxed before driving it away.

How do you go about taxing a vehicle?

Okay, so when your Vehicle Excise Duty or Van Tax is up for renewal, you’ll receive a V11 reminder letter. You need to type this number into the Online Tax Service and follow the steps through the government website. Job Done.

However, you might not have a V11 reminder letter, don’t worry you can also use the number on your V5C which is your Log Book. If you’ve just purchased the vehicle and not yet got the log book, you should have a number on your V5C/2 supplement slip which was given to you by the previous owner.

How do I know if the van is taxed?

You can easily check the tax status of a van by using the government’s Vehicle Enquiry Service which is FREE. All you need to enter is the registration of the vehicle and confirm the details on the next screen. It will tell you when your tax is due for renewal as well as when your MOT is up too.

If you have your reference number on the V5C to hand, you can also get the tax rates and other information for the vehicle. The cost of tax will depend on the band your vehicle falls into. The lowest band is A and currently exempt from paying any tax.

Alternative ways Taxing a Vehicle?

Yup, if doing business online isn’t for you there are a couple more options available when taxing a vehicle. You can pay by phone – simply call the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 and have your V5C or V5C/2 available. Also, certain post offices allow for taxing a vehicle in person.

How to find a post office for taxing a vehicle? Visit the Post Office Branch Finder and select “Vehicle Tax” as your preferred service. You will then be given a list of Post Offices that allow your to purchase vehicle tax.

When using the post office for taxing a vehicle, you might need to show a valid MOT certificate as well as your V5C or V5C/2.

How do I pay for my vehicle tax?

Paying for vehicle tax can be done by either paying in full, or part payments – either by cash, cheque and debit or credit card. You have the option paying by direct debit either annually, biannually or monthly – If paying for biannual or monthly there is a 5% surcharge for that service. Taxing a Vehicle

Just bought a used van? Does it come with tax already on it?

Nope, not anymore. Gone are the days where vehicle tax is transferable. For those that remember, we used to have paper tac discs in our windows. People would sell a var with a few months’ tax still on it as part of the sale. Now, whenever somebody sells a car, any FULL months’ worth of tax that are left over will be automatically refunded.

This means that whenever you buy a used car, it will always be untaxed. By law, a vehicle must be taxed at the point of sale and driving away could land you with a nice little fine. Taxing a Vehicle

Anyone who tells you different is either mistaken or fibbing.

What happened to the vehicle tax disc?

Originally the tax disc was introduced way back in 1921 when a lot of us weren’t even thought of. Since then it was a legal requirement to display one in our windows. Even vehicles that were exempt from paying tax had to display one with nil on them.

It was October 2014 when tax discs were no longer issued and therefore our beloved tax disc holders became defunct. The DVLA said that this was to be a cost-cutting exercise and by getting rid of the paper, printing and postage would save £10 million each year. (insert witty comment here) We will leave that one for now.

Taxing a Vehicle

So how do I get a refund on my vehicle tax?

Let’s say you no longer own the vehicle, or it’s been sorn off the road, you will automatically get any full months’ worth of remaining tax. You will one day receive a letter with a cheque attached to the bottom.

You should let the DVLA know if your car: Taxing a Vehicle

  • is sold or transferred to someone else
  • is off the road. If you’re not using your car you will need a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).
  • has been written off by an insurance company or scrapped at a scrap yard.
  • has been exported out of the UK
  • is registered as tax exempt

If your vehicle is stolen, you’ll have to apply for the cancellation and the refund separately.

When you’ve told the DVLA about this your tax will be cancelled, as will the direct debit and they will then issue your payment.

To calculate this the DVLA will work out the remaining months left from the date they received your information. The cheque is then sent to the name and address on the logbook.

Unfortunately, you won’t receive a refund for any credit card fees or surcharges.

Got a van for sale? Sell Your Van with us today

Join us on Facebook

leave your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *